You might have noticed the growing buzz around Google’s upcoming update which is going to affect the mobile searches. There’s even a thread about it on our forum.
The first step toward this change was made on the 18th of November 2014, when they posted this announcement about adding a “mobile-friendly” label to the mobile search results.
Now Google is speaking about making the mobile friendliness a ranking factor:
Three Simple Tests: Are you mobile-ready?
Check if your website is ready for this change. There are several ways, and they’re not alternatives but rather complements to each other.
- Probably the easiest way is to put yourself in your customers’ shoes. Open your browser on the smartphone, try to find some product of your store in Google, and follow the entire procedure from browsing the products to adding them to cart and checking out. This will also help you to find possible navigation issues or inconveniences that prevent your mobile surfers from purchasing in your webstore.
- Further, you should test a few pages (at least the key ones – you can find the most popular pages in you Google Analytics account, or just check 8-10 most important pages of different types). There’s a free online tool by Google, which allows you to run the Mobile-Friendly Test easily.
- If you are a webmaster, you can use your Webmaster Tools account, check the Mobile Usability Report to get a full list of mobile usability issues across your site.
How we can help you if any issues are detected
- Both X-Cart 4 and X-Cart 5 feature responsive design to make your store compatible across various devices out of the box. It’s very convenient, as you do not need to maintain several different skins, and it passes the validation by Google perfectly.
- Additionally you can install a stand-alone mobile skin for your store. It’s also available for both platforms and a wide range of versions. Just in case you want to check them, these are the links: Mobile Skin for X-Cart 4 Classic, Mobile Skin for X-Cart 5.
- The team of X-Cart Design department is at your service too: fix the minor mobile usability issues, make you current design responsive, or even develop a mobile-ready design from scratch – we can do it all!